Thursday, April 5, 2012

Newest Lip Finds

I visited my local Sephora the other day and landed in Tangerine Heaven!  Some of you may know that Pantone has declared that 2012's color of the year is Tangerine, or "Tangerine Tango", as they call it.  (Pantone, founded in 1963, is "a wholly owned subsidiary of X-Rite, is the world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries.")

Sephora has teamed up with Pantone to create a line of cosmetics that feature the 'It" color of the year.  These items were displayed front and center when I walked into Sephora the other day, where you cannot miss the array of lipglosses, blushes, eyeshadows, brushes, and nailpolishes.  I've been reading about this Limited Edition collection from other beauty bloggers, and was excited to see it in person.  Makeup 'Ho that I am, I left a small chunk of change behind, and in, turn, gleefully left the store with a bulging bag of goodies. :)

As a fair, Warm-Skintoned Old Broad, I am actually flattered by this new Color of the Year. (And so will the rest of you Warm-Skintoned beauties out there, young, old, or in-between.)  However, I need to state right here that Tangerine Tango is not a color for everyone, and certainly not a color for a Cool-Skintoned Old Broad! If you were ever color analyzed and were told that you are a Winter or a Summer, do not even attempt to wear Tangerine Tango.  Most of you would not want to anyway, instinctively knowing it is not right for you, but I am certain that a few of you will be tempted.  Save your pennies for colors that are more flattering to your cool skintones, like lovely cool pinks and mauves that make us Warm-Skintoned Old Broads look one step closer to the Great Beyond than we already are. For those of you who might have been told years ago that you are a Spring or an Autumn, these colors are for you!

People have raved about the packaging, but I personally do not give two hoots about packaging.  In fact, I would MUCH rather see less packaging for both environmental and pricing reasons.  Give me the naked tube and charge me less, thankyouverymuch!  But for most lines out there, packaging is part of the, well, package, and you just can't get away from it.  (As an aside, Aveda is a line of products that seems to try to create less packaging waste, and has a very unique way of packaging lipstick to help save the environment, one lipstick tube at a time.)  HOWEVER, I will say that I do love the actual tube of Tangerine Tango Cream lipstick itself.  Refreshingly, it is WHITE, (are you or are you not a tad tired of all of the BLACK tubes out there?) and the cap slips onto a silver-toned base with a nice, magnetic CLICK. 




But, of course, what is really important is the lipstick itself, and Tangerine Tango did not disappoint me.  It is a glorious, rich, deep coral-orange, which applies very smoothly and lasts a decent amount of time, given no unusual uses of the lips......(don't try to eat a salad with an oil-based dressing or bite into a hotdog bun and ever expect your lipstick to stay put - it just ain't gonna happen).....say, four hours or so.  (Can I confess here that I have, on occasion, actually ordered something off the menu for the sole purpose that it was not going to mess with my lipstick?  Egads!)You might even be able to do a bit more than just sit there and look pretty - my lipstick survived the morning cup of tea with very little damage to the finished effect.  Anything more than the dainty sipping from your coffee/tea cup usually requires a bit of touch-up, but this formulation appears to be more of the traditional one that lasts hours, and even when it wears down, a bit of a stain on the lips is left behind.  Don't put this on and then think you're going to take it off anytime soon without some serious scouring efforts, ladies.

I would also strongly recommend not using this lipstick without applying a decent lipliner first.  I don't know about you, but I have found lipliners a necessary part of my makeup routine for a while now - without the aid of My Friend the Lipliner, I would seriously have no upper lip to speak of.  Angelina Jolie has no reason to fear losing the Crown for the Lushest Lips to me, since I think that it would take at least three of my upper lips to equal hers.  And I'm not telling you to create a totally new lipline or to draw too much outside the lines here, ladies.  It's just that defining the lip with a nice, distinct line does wonders for making the most of whatever lips that joke-loving God bestowed upon us......we will have to talk about liplining in another entry, for sure.  Maybe two, even, because liplining is serious stuff.  :)

Here is the lovely lipstick itself - I'm not going to kid you, it is BRIGHT, and if you don't feel comfortable having all heads turn towards your luscious pout, Tangerine Tango might be best left on the shelf.  However, you should also realize that as we age, sometimes the nicest thing we can do for our face is to give our lips a 'pop of color', so to speak.  I know that there are experts out there (and one, in particular, who wrote a book about How Not to.....) who tell you that when you are older, your best look is a soft pink lipstick, no matter what your coloring.  I am sorry, but I must politely disagree, and I am betting that there are others out there who feel the same.  I personally have found that my finished look is much more attractive when my lips look ALIVE, rather than half-dead, and Tangerine Tango is a color that definitely screams "Life!".  Without further ado, I give you Tangerine Tango Cream lipstick from Sephora:


And, just for kicks, here is the set of four lipglosses in the Tangerine Tango line from Sephora/Pantone:


L, to R, they are:  Tangerine Tango Opal, Tangerine Tango Luminous, Tangerine Tango Vivid, and Tangerine Tango Glaze.  The Glaze is the most sheer, and the Vivid is basically a lipstick in a wand.  I actually had to blot Vivid off my lips, as it went on waaaay too thick when applied as you would a regular gloss.  A favorite tip of mine when applying a 'too dark' gloss is to just apply a dot of it to your lower lip.  Then, using the fingertip of your choice, gently move the color out from the center to the edges of your lips.  (Again, having outlined your natural lipline first with a matching liner pencil.  Otherwise the lipgloss might take an unauthorized trip into the twilight zone - you know - those crevasses above and below the lips that us Old Broads seem to develop overnight.....)  Even a color that looks alarming in the tube can often be worn when applied in this manner.  Try it, you'll like it!  :)

In any event, all four glosses must be purchased together in a kit - I would have much preferred being able to pick and choose single glosses, and had I been able to choose, I would have chosen the Opal or the Glaze, but probably would have left the Vivid on the shelf for sure, as the Tangerine Tango Cream lipstick is a very similar color/consistency/product.  Not quite sure why this one was included in the mix. 

I also couldn't resist a beautiful new offering from YSL in the Volupte Sheer Candy line called #10 Mandarine.  The tube is gorgeous, and the color and consistency of this is a much more sheer and wearable offering for those of you who would like to give the Color of the Year a try but find it a bit much. Here is the YSL offering: 

And, finally, for purposes of comparison, here are all of the colors swatched:
From top, we have the Tangerine Tango Cream lipstick, the YSL Mandarine, and then the Tangerine Tango Opal, Luminous, Vivid, and Glaze.

These are all lovely colors for warm skintones, but if you are a cool, again, I highly advise you to leave these alone.  There are lots and lots of colors out there for you, and maybe next time I will swatch some.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment