Monday, April 1, 2013

The April Fool!

Well, since it's been quite the long time since my last musings, I should make this one extra-long, but don't worry, it will be fun. :)  And probably not all that long, as I am wanting to make the trek to my favorite clothing source:  the Eileen Fisher Company Store (read 'outlet' for 'company' and you get the drift).  In case any of you are in the Chicago area, the aforementioned store is located on Golf Road in Schaumburg, very close to the Woodfield Mall. I do not have the exact street address, but you should be able to find it if you really want to. ;)

Today I would like to share a few new makeup finds.  First, for the lips.  What else?   My favorite part of the face, for various reasons.....Okay, one of the reasons is that if you apply the right color to your lips, the rest of your face looks absolutely amazing.  Truth.  There are waaaay too many women out there walking around with the wrong color on their lips.  Too dark.  Too brown.  Too light. And, horrors!  NO LIPSTICK/GLOSS AT ALL!!!!!!!  Ladies, there is NO EXCUSE for going without lipcolor.  (Except maybe for being comatose, and even then, if you make sure that in your Living Will you designate a trusted friend/relative to apply that gloss in the ICU, you will still be covered.....).  

You think I'm kidding. Girls, I'm not.  Lipcolor really takes your face from good to sublime.  If you pick the right color! There is no real secret or trick to this.  It just involves trying on a LOT of different colors to see which lights up your face the best.  You don't have to buy them to try them on.  Any Sephora or Ulta, or the makeup counter at your favorite department store will be happy to accomodate your wish to try color on your lips.  I'm not entirely sure that I love the whole 'sanitizing' the lipstick thing and prefer nicking a small bit from the side of a pristine tester.  But any way you choose to do it, please get out there and try on some colors that you might not have looked at before.  As we get older, surprisingly, we often need a pop of color on the lips to brighten us up.  Yes, I know that the author of "How Not to Look Old" says that we Old Bags need to go light and pink on our lips.  Sorry, honey, I've got news for you:  that  doesn't work for all of us, and for some of us, it makes us look positively washed out!  I absolutely look brighter and younger when I am wearing a brighter shade of lipcolor.  And I'm not talking garish, I'm talking pretty.  And lively.  And pretty.  :)  Sometimes a color looks downright scary in the tube, but wonderful on the lips.  Again, I would refer you all to the fabulous Lisa Eldridge for videos of how to get different uses out of one lipcolor on her website:  www.lisaeldridgecom  If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on 'videos', you should be able to find the one where she talks about "How to Wear Dark Lipsticks and Look Good".  She demonstrates applying the lipstick with your finger for a stained look of a brighter color.  Very informative, and I adore her accent!

So onward to my latest discovery:  Stila Color Balm Lipstick.  I LOVE this stuff!  It's got my favorite pepperminty feel/scent, and a pretty decent range of colors to choose from.  I chose Isla, which is a warm shade, but there are lots of cool-toned shades to pick from as well.  Here is Isla, in the tube and on the wrist:




This product feels wonderful on the lips, and wears somewhat well.  It's definitely not a long-lasting lipcolor, but it stays put for a bit, as long as you're not eating a burger. :)
I have found it in person at both Sephora and Ulta, and I am sure that it would also be available on their websites.  I actually do not recall the price, but I'm going to guess it's in the $20 vicinity.....I found that I don't apply it quite the same way as I would apply a 'regular' lipstick, but I use more of a patting motion on the lips.  If you take it and apply it from one side of the mouth to the other, I think that you end up with too much product on your lips.  You could also dab a bit on your ring finger and then dab it onto your lips as well, for a more 'stained' look.

On to the eyes!  I am not really a huge fan of Bobbi Brown products (although I do love her Bobbi fragrance), but I have to say that I love the Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow in that line.  They go on like a dream and last until you remove them with your favorite eyemakeup remover.  I've been known (shhh!) to sleep in them and still see color in the morning.  Mortal sin.  I know.  In any event, they are wonderful, and a little goes a long way, which makes them budget-friendly, right?  Again, I can't recall the exact price, but it's probably in the $20 vicinity as well.  (All right.  It's probably more than that, but that's all I'm admitting to.)  The two shades I really like are both warm-toned, of course:  Antique Gold and Beach Bronze, but there are lots of other shades from which to choose.  Here they are in the pot and swatched.  Antique Gold is on the left and Beach Bronze on the right in both cases.  




I will warn you that Antique Gold could leave a few flecks of gold glitter somewhere other than your eyelids if you should happen to rub your eye during the day, but I still love the product and would not discount it just for that reason.

And since I've been sitting here trying to write this little review, I've had three phone calls and two people trying to get through while I was on the line with the other calls, so I'm not going to make it to my Eileen Fisher Company Store today.  Dang.  But good for the pocketbook!

Until next time, my Beauties, put on some lipstick and go forth with a smile! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment